For all information, laws, and guidelines for the use of medical cannabis please visit the Utah Department of Health’s official site at https://medicalcannabis.utah.gov/
The Utah Dept of Health’s page will provide you with a wealth of resources, facts, instruction, and the latest updates.
Here is just some of the “need to know” information found on the above website.:
DOSAGE FORMS AND DEVICES
Medical cannabis forms and devices that may be legally purchased in Utah are limited to the following:
• Gelatinous cube
• Unprocessed cannabis flower in tamper evident and resistant container that is opaque that contains a quantity that varies no more than 10% from the stated weight at the time of packaging
• Wax or resin
• Liquid suspension or concentrated liquid or viscous oil
• Transdermal, sublingual, or topical preparation
• Medical cannabis device such as a vaping pen that warms cannabis material into a vapor without the use of a flame and that delivers cannabis to an individual’s respiratory system
SMOKING OF MARIJUANA IS PROHIBITED. The process of vaporizing and inhaling concentrated cannabis by placing the cannabis on a nail or other metal object that is heated by a flame, including a blowtorch is prohibited. Edible products such as candies, cookies, and brownies are not permitted under Utah law.
MEDICAL CANNABIS CARDS
Qualifying patients who are Utah residents may apply for medical cannabis cards with their qualified medical provider (QMP) through the electronic verification system (EVS). The Utah Department of Health evaluates applications and issues cards within 15 days if applicant qualifies.
All card applications submitted by patients under 21 years of age and submitted by patients without qualifying conditions must be approved by the Compassionate Use Board (CUB). Cards issued include the following:
• Issued to patients 18 years of age and older
• Valid for 90 days upon initial issuance, then six months upon renewal.
• Card for patients age 18-20 must have card approved by CUB Medical Cannabis Caregiver Card
• Card renews automatically with associated Medical Cannabis Patient or Guardian Card
• Criminal background check Provisional Patient Card
• Patients under 18 years of age
• Issued and renews automatically with Guardian Card (no additional fee)
• Requires approval by Compassionate Use Board (CUB) and CUB may approve or deny a minor patients use of a vaping device
Medical Cannabis Guardian Card
• Issued to parent or guardian of patients under 18 years of age
• Valid for 60 days upon initial issuance, then six months upon renewal (with additional fee)
• Criminal background check